The latest version of Android studio is now available for download, after its announcement at Google I/O 2022.
Today, we are ⚡️electrified⚡️ to announce the latest stable release of the official IDE for building Android applications: Android Studio Electric Eel (2022.1.1)!
This release includes updates and new features that cover across design, build & dependencies, emulators & devices, and IntelliJ.
- Compose Preview updates automatically
- Compose Preview device spec
- Layout Inspector recomposition rendering highlights
- Visual Linting
- Universal Problems panel
Build & dependencies
- Improved Sync performance with parallel project imports
- Download impact in Build Analyzer
- Upgrade Assistant post-upgrade report and rollback support
- SDK Index integration
- Baseline Profile fix for App Bundles
Emulators & devices
- New “Desktop” category & Desktop AVD
- Resizable Emulator (Experimental)
- Physical Devices Mirroring (Experimental, Opt-in)
- IntelliJ Platform 2022.1 Update
It’s a new year, and now a new stable version of Android Studio. First announced in May last year at Google I/O 2022, Electric Eel brings a number of highly-anticipated changes for Android Developers working with Jetpack Compose such as automatic updates, and the new Layout Inspector that helps show where recompositions are being triggered. It has been in preview since I/O.
This will help developers – especially those learning Compose who might not yet understand its intricacies – when investigating problems related to excessive or unexpected recompositions occurring.
Google’s announcement today follows Apple’s own rollout of its next round of software betas for its products earlier in the week as teams come back from end of year holidays.